Pages

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Handmaid inspired make up

So, my english teacher is officially awesome. We just finished reading the Handmaids Tale, and in his infinite wisdom, he has decided to give us free reign in a project that can be anything as long as it is somehow related to the novel. My group decided to focus on color and fashion and did makeup inspired by the characters.

Wives inspired

Daughters inspired
Handmaid inspired
I had so much fun with this project, it was an absolute dream come true. I got to play with makeup and get credit for it, that was just absolutely awesome.
So the handmaids are red because of their dresses obviously, but I also wanted to make their eyes seem dark and dead. Offred and the other handmaids have been stripped of their individuality and humanity to be walking reproductive organs. I wanted their oppression to come across in their makeup, so i tried to make them seem a bit darker.
For the daughters i went with more of an angelic look. I put glitter all across her temples and packed it on heavily. For her cheeks I used a bright pink blush to give her the effect of a doll by exaggerating the blush. I kept her eyeshadow very glittery and white to continue with the angelic effect since the daughters in the novel are portrayed in white.
I wanted the makeup of the wives to be a bit more harsh and darker. I used blue eyeshadow from the Wet and Wild Blue Had me at Hello palette. I used all the blues to create a blue smokey eye (sorry you can't really see it, the pictures were meant for the attitude more than the actual makeup) since the wives wear blue.
All in all I had a lot of fun trying to imagine the makeup that would go with each group of women since the women in the novel don't actually wear makeup. Keep in mind, I am not a makeup artist nor do I claim to be. I am just a girl with a few makeup brushes and palettes who knows her way around a few things. If anything this was a pretty good learning experience and definitely some of the most fun I've had on a school project, so thanks Mr. B! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment